Friday, May 16, 2008

Web, Library and Teen Services 2.0

I had never heard of the term 2.0 before in the context of the next generation of the internet. Now that I know what it mean I have to say that I always liked to look at the user reviews, especially on amazon. However I have to say the idea of "gaming" caught me by surprise. But if that can bring teens together in a safe environment, then that is great. I think that gaming would work best at the city library and not at the school site. This would also give teens that can't afford the new game, a chance to try it out. In the small city, Foster City, that I teach in there is a strong teen center, The Vibe, it is city run. I would say that about a quater of my school's students go to the library after school daily for a variety of reason. I have stopped in there on occassion, they are studying,surfing the net, in a music room (don't know if they play instruments or listen), or being/getting tutored. The school librarian is very much into what the stundets need and want, he is alwys changing with them. That has made our school library/medica center a great place for the students to meet.

1 comment:

Agee54 said...

I had never heard of 2.0 untilI read this article. Ithink it's great that libraries are coming more into the technology era and catering to teenagers. It's a great way for teenagers tocome together and check out the library.