Friday, May 16, 2008

Social Networking Sites

MySpace. What a crazy concept. I originally created a plain MySpace page so that I could see what it was all about. I had heard all of my students talking about it. Our school and other schools in neighboring cities have had issues with MySpace usage at school, so it has been blocked. We have had incidents of cyper-bullying that have been brought onto the school campus. I can't see using MySpace as part of my curriculum. I feel that MySpace is geared toward the younger age group, certainly not me. I have seen nothing good come from MySpace as of yet.

I guess I can see that one day, when there is proper on-line supervision, that MySpace can be a useful tool.

I have created a facebook page. I feel that it is different and geared toward the college plus age group. It has allowed me to reconnect with schoolmates from Kindergarten through college. That has been a huge plus in "networking." I use that term loosely as I am generally not networking for professional reasons. I don't go to the page regularly as I don't have the time to access that during the day and teach too.

1 comment:

Scott Sailor, EdD ATC said...

I agree with you about My Space vs. Facebook. I get headaches with MySpace sites. Too many ads, clutter, etc. I set one up because I told my 15 y.o. daughter she could have one as long as I had full access and editorial control. Her youth group is using it as a way to keep connected with the students. I think Paul went to where the people were also. Interesting.